Dry socket is medically known as alveolar osteitis, an extremely painful dental issue. The disease can develop from 3 to 5 days after your tooth is pulled and is commonly seen after getting an extracted wisdom tooth.
After extracting a tooth, the blood clot forms to help protect nerve endings and the bone. Dry socket happens as this blood clot are dislodged or even dissolves prior to the process of healing wound.
In fact, there remains no exact cause for the problem, but, many researchers believed that bacterial infection, tissue and bone trauma after the extraction of tooth can become contributing factors to this issue. Apart from that, you can increase the risk of dry socket in case of using tobacco products, excessive smoking, grabbing some oral contraceptives, having a dense jawbone, or history of contracting dry socket in the past.
Common symptoms of dry socket consist of:
- Pain in the similar side of the face
- Pain near or in the socket
- A visible bone present in the socket
- Swollen lymph
- Bad breath
- Mild Fever
Since you are aware of how embarrassing and discomfortable the dry socket is, it is necessary to treat this problem immediately. Fortunately, applying home remedies can aid in accelerating the healing process and then alleviating the symptoms of dry socket. Also, you should listen to your dentist’s advice and their intrusion.
- Clove Oil
One of the most incredible home remedies for dry socket is clove oil. The oil has analgesic and anesthetic properties, which can help with throbbing pain removal. It works perfectly as a physical barrier among the exposed bone with nerve endings and the oral environment. The oil can provide a good source of relief from pain and decline your number of dropping by to the dentist room.
How to apply:
- Soak a cotton swab into the clove oil
- Put the swab in the socket in one minute
- Ret rid of the swab and wash the month with warm water
- Perform the treatment several times during the day
- Cold Compress
A cold compress is another effective treatment for dry socket that you can easily follow at home in order to remove pain. It is the cold temperature containing the numbing effects on the nerves that supports the pain removal.
How to apply:
- Soak a towel into cold water and remove excessive water
- Rub the towel over the face in the area that you are contracting the pain
- Hold and keep it for 20 minutes
- Reapply the treatment 5 times per day in two days
- After that, replace the cold compress by the warm one to help alleviate the swelling and pain
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a well-known method to help you overcome dry socket thanks to its natural antiseptic. The oil helps prevent gum and tooth infection in case the impurities are stuck as the raw bone gets exposed. Also, tea tree oil is one of the most effective oral thrush treatments.
How to apply:
- Soak a cotton swab into the water to help it moisten
- Pour 2 drops of the tea tree oil into it
- Press nicely and gently the swab against the area where you are experiencing dry socket
- Leave it on for about 5 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat the same process thrice per day as it is necessary.